I’m a big fan of grab and go breakfasts. Something that you can quickly pick up before you leave the house and eat on the go. My mornings are normally so hectic, and no matter how early I wake up, I’m running around trying to do everything at the last minute. This means that – annoyingly – my breakfasts are never as good as I’d like them to be. And that’s where quick and convenient food like this comes in.
I love the simplicity of these snacks, there are only 6 ingredients and the whole recipe is so easy to follow. The end result is a bit like a soft, fruit-packed ‘healthy’ cookie. It’s filled with dried dates, cranberries and apricots – mainly because these are the flavours that remind me of the holidays. But the apricots also help to add a little less sweetness to the mixture, which I prefer in a breakfast.
Soaking the fruit in orange juice not only helps to add a citrus kick, but it also softens up the dried fruit a little so that the mixture is easier to blend. Oats are used to bind everything together; they are also a great source of fibre and energy, so they really help to power you through the day. I’ve used buckwheat – which despite the name is gluten free – because I love the slightly crunchy texture and nutty flavour it gives to the cookies. Being allergic to nuts means I’ve had to be a bit creative in order to get nutty crunches in my dishes!
These biscuits can be eaten as a quick snack or have a couple as a quick grab and go brekkie.
Want to stay up to date and receive exclusive content and recipes? Follow me and never miss a moment!
Have something to say? Just sprinkle your thoughts and let me know what’s on your mind…
|Prep Time||80 Minutes|
|Cook Time||15-20 Minutes|
|Passive Time||1 Hour|
- 1 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1 cup Dried Apricots
- 1/2 cup Dried Medjool Dates roughly 6
- 1 1/2 cups Fresh Orange Juice or good quality store-bought if fresh isn't available
- 1 1/2 cups Jumbo Oats Gluten Free if required
- 1/2 cup Buckwheat
- Place all the dried fruit and orange juice in a bowl. Cover and allow the mixture to soak for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to Fan 160* / 180*C / 350*F / Gas Mark 4. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the jumbo oats to the blender and pulse until coarse
- Add the orange-soaked fruit, including any remaining juice, and buckwheat to the blender blend until combined
- Take a small amount of the mixture and flatten into a disc shape, use a spoon if this is easier. Place the cookie on the pre-lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining mixture, leaving a gap between each cookie to allow for slight spreading.
- Place in the centre of the oven for 15 minutes, or until the outside turns golden brown.
- Leave on the baking tray for 10-15 minutes to cool before transferring to an airtight container.
Store in an airtight container, in a cool environment.