I’m just going to say it… I love oats. I’m not kidding when I say that I have porridge basically every single day for breakfast; and not just in the autumn or winter, this is a year-round staple for me. I love how it keeps me feeling full all morning, and how easy it is to customise.
This is my basic go-to recipe. You can eat this as is, sprinkled with a thick layer of crunchy sugar. Or use it as a base for any fruit, toppings or spices you want to use. I like to keep it simple with some dried fruit and cinnamon, or fresh fruit and homemade compote. I love that every single bowl tastes completely different.It goes to prove that all you need is a few good basic recipes to get you started.
I used a combination of water and milk for this recipe but if you prefer then you can solely use one or the other, depending on personal preference. You can even do a straight swap for a dairy free alternative if you need to, I’ve made this recipe using coconut milk loads of times and it still turned out creamy, soft and deliciously moreish. This really is a meal for everyone!
I’ll admit, when I’m in a rush I tend to throw everything together and quickly chuck it in the microwave. But, like we all know, the best porridge is always cooked on the hob! Simmering until the oats turn thick and creamy. Then pile high with your favourite toppings. You’ll soon be loving oats as much as me!
|Prep Time||2 Minute|
|Cook Time||10 Minutes|
|Passive Time||6 Minutes|
- 60 grams Rolled Porridge Oats gluten free, if required
- 175 ml Water
- 250 ml Milk and extra for the topping, dairy free alternative if required (I use coconut milk)
- Sprinkle of White Granulated Sugar optional topping
- Place all the ingredients, besides the sugar, into a saucepan and bring the mixture to the boil.
- After it's come to the boil, gently simmer the oats for roughly 7 minutes or until the oats are creamy and cooked. If you're adapting this recipe, this is also the point where you my add any additions.
- Once cooked, place the porridge into your bowl, top with a light layer of milk / dairy free alternative and a sprinkle of sugar.
- Enjoy your piping hot and deliciously sweet porridge!