I love granola. I think it’s fair to say that it’s one of my favourite things. With a splash of milk, on top of yogurt, or even eaten straight out of the jar (my preferred way!). As much as I enjoy eating it, my absolute favourite thing about it has to be making it. Experimenting with new recipes and flavours, creating something different every time.
With this recipe I’ve not only tried new flavours but have also made the whole thing in a completely new way. Traditionally granola is baked in the oven allowing it to go crispy and crunchy. But after my oven broke down (boo hoo!), I was left without granola for such a long time. That’s how this little experiment came about.
Sweet, Spiced and Perfectly Delicious
Gently cooked on the hob until golden brown, these winter flavoured oats are perfectly delicious. With the sweet flavour of the orange perfectly complimented by the light spice of cinnamon and juicy cranberries. It’s so quick and easy to make, and only takes about 15 minutes to cook on the hob. The process is the same as cooking it in the oven, you still need to mix the wet and dry ingredients together before cooking. It’s always good to use a larger saucepan so that you can really spread it out and allow it to get a crispier finish and a better all over cook.
I’ve also found that it’s best to add the cranberries at the end, otherwise it’s likely that they’ll burn quite quickly. I’ve experimented with a few different ingredients, and different types of oats, and I’ve learnt that jumbo oats are definitely the best for this recipe. Rolled oats take in the moisture from the juice and go quite mushy. But with jumbo oats you get a much better overall flavour and texture.
Never Look Back
Since I’ve started cooking my own, I would never buy another pack of ready-made granola. It’s so simple and quick to do. You can also guarantee exactly what’s in your food, and it is so easy to customise depending on your mood or what ingredients you have to hand.
Gently spiced and flavoured with the delicious tastes of the season. This cranberry orange granola is perfect for this time of year.
|Prep Time||5 Minutes|
|Cook Time||15 Minutes|
|Passive Time||20 Minutes|
- 3 cups Jumbo Oats gluten free, if required
- Zest of 1/2 Large Orange
- 1/3 cup Coconut Oil
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Orange Juice
- 1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
- In a large bowl mix the oats, cinnamon and orange zest together together, and slowly add the orange juice, coconut oil and maple syrup stirring until everything is thoroughly coated.
- Place in a large frying pan over a high heat and cook for roughly 10 minutes, stirring frequently. You want the oats to just start to turn golden brown, being careful that they don't start to burn.
- Add the cranberries and stir through, cooking for about another 2 minutes.
- Once the oats are cooked, spread the mixture out evenly on a large plate or a lined baking tray. Leave to cool for approximately 15 - 20 minutes.
- Once cool, place in an airtight container.
Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for 1-2 weeks.