This has to be my favourite version of apple crumble ; the lightly spiced sweet and juicy apple compote compliments the crunchy granola topping perfectly. It is absolutely delicious and, best of all, this recipe really couldn’t be simpler!
Strangely enough, this pudding is inspired by one of my most eaten breakfast dishes. Homemade granola, warm fruit compote and a big blob of yogurt piled high on the side… it’s making my mouth water just thinking about it! It may sound a little odd, but I could not decide what to have for pudding one day – all I wanted was this breakfast. Then, it hit me, if you put it all together this dish has all the makings of a fruit crumble… genius!
I mentioned before that this recipe was simple, and I meant it! First, you start by making a fresh batch of lightly spiced compote (just place your fruit and spices in a pan with a little liquid and simmer until soft). Next, add the mixture to the bottom of an oven proof dish. Now, mix all your granola ingredients together in a mixing bowl and place on top of the compote making a nice even layer. Then finally, place in the oven until golden brown and crispy. Perfection! For a successful crumble, there is one tip I can give you: Be careful that your ovenproof dish is not too big – you want to make sure that you have a nice thick layer of granola on top of the crumble.
Once cooled store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Serve it lightly warmed up with a big blob of thick yogurt on the side, or even a good helping of ice cream 😊
As an added bonus, you can even eat this pudding for breakfast. It is just granola and fruit after all. My healthy take on the traditional apple crumble; warming, lightly spiced, crunchy and delicious!
Want to stay up to date and receive exclusive content and recipes? Follow me and never miss a moment!
Have something to say? Just sprinkle your thoughts and let me know what’s on your mind…
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
|Passive Time||20 minutes|
- 2 Pears peeled & diced
- 1 large Cooking Apple peeled & diced
- Sprinkle Cinnamon Powder to taste
- Sprinkle Caster Sugar to taste
- Apple Juice good quality, to cover the bottom of the pan
- 50g Sunflower Seeds
- 75g Jumbo Oats Gluten Free if required
- 3 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil melted
- 1 tablespoon Chia Seeds
- Pinch Salt
- Place the diced fruit in a saucepan and add enough apple juice to cover the bottom of the pan. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar to taste.
- Simmer the mixture, taking care not to boil, on a medium heat for around 10 minutes, or until the fruit has softened.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170* Fan / 190* C / 375* F / Gas Mark 5
- Pulse the Sunflower Seeds in a blender for a few seconds, until lightly blitzed.
- Next, mix the blitzed seeds with the rest of the topping ingredients until fully combined.
- Spoon all of the fruit compote into a small, ovenproof dish.
- Next, spoon all of the crumble topping on top of the fruit. You should have two layers, as shown.
- Sprinkle the topping with a light layer of coconut sugar and place in the centre of your pre-heated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Once cooked, leave to cool for 5 - 10 minutes before serving and enjoy!