Buttercream is officially my favourite type of icing! This vanilla buttercream is one of my most used recipes, it only needs four simple ingredients: unsalted butter, icing sugar, a bit of milk and vanilla paste. I love how quick and easy it is to make; the whole thing can be whipped together in under 5 minutes!
This recipe is so versatile, the colour can be adapted to suit any occasion by the simple addition of a little of food colouring. I would recommend using a paste colour over a runny liquid food colouring as the paste colourings are a lot more vibrant and liquid versions can ruin the consistency of the buttercream.
This is the perfect consistency for piping: it is thick, but creamy and completely delicious. If you are piping try not to hold the bag for too long as the thermal heat from your hand can melt the icing.
My Buttercream Top Tips:
- Always sieve the icing sugar
- Use unsalted butter
- Bring your unsalted butter to room temperature before using
- Use an electric mixer for a smoother consistency
- Use whole milk (full fat) for a creamier consistency – dairy free alternatives also work well here
- Always cream your butter first
- To prevent a lot of mess, stir the icing sugar through before using the electric mixer
- Do not be afraid to overmix – You want this to be nice and smooth
- If you’re adding colours, a paste is normally best as liquid food colouring can ruin the consistency of the buttercream
Looking for a Dairy Free version?
- 60 g / 2 oz Unsalted Butter
- 115 g / 4 oz Icing Sugar - sieved
- 1 Teaspoon Milk
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Paste
- Bring the unsalted butter to room temperature
- Add the butter to a mixing bowl and using an electric mixer, blend until creamy
- Add half of the sieved icing sugar and milk to the bowl and using a spoon, gently stir together until just combined (this helps to prevent an icing sugar explosion!), before mixing with the electric mixer
- Add the remaining icing sugar and follow the steps above, do not be afraid to overmix, you want this to be nice and smooth
- Add the vanilla paste and thoroughly mix through
- When everything is blended and smooth, apply to your cooled cake
Find more Frosting ideas here…
Looking for more baking ideas? Have a look in the recipe section:
Want to stay up to date and receive exclusive content and recipes? Follow me and never miss a moment!