A lot of gluten free cakes are dry and crumbly and you can normally always tell that they’re free from something. But not this cake… This cake is a moist, rich chocolate sponge made with melted chocolate. The melted chocolate in the batter helps to keep to create the softest sponge and prevents any drying once cooked. This deliciously chocolate cake is then topped off with traditional creamy chocolate buttercream and – optional – chocolate sprinkles. I know, the ultimate chocolate fix for anyone, whether your gluten free or not!
One of the things I love the most about this cake is that it contradicts all the claims that gluten free or any free from bake is hard to make or not very tasty. The (VERY tasty) recipe couldn’t be easier to follow. And uses exactly the same method as you’d use for ‘regular’ baking: Throw all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined and creamy and put in the oven. Make sure that it’s cooked through, but not over cooked, and then slather with a good layer of homemade frosting. Adding a few chocolate sprinkles for an extra dose of chocolate goodness. See, sooo simple!
The most important thing is to make sure that you use good quality ingredients. Especially when it comes to things like the chocolate and gluten free flour. You might take a few tries until you found your perfect brand, but don’t be discouraged by a couple set-backs! It took me for what seemed like forever to find my favourite flour – my personal go-to’s are M&S or Doves Kitchen. And, if you’re not gluten free, then just substitute the flour for regular flour and you’ll get the same delicious results.
Bursting with flavour, this is the perfect bake to make when you need something quick, easy and simply scrumptious! I’m not much of a chocolate lover, but I always go in for a second slice of cake!
Gluten Free Chocolate Tray Bake
- 150 grams Self Raising Flour Gluten Free if necessary
- 150 grams Dark Muscavado Sugar
- 175 grams Butter Softened, at room temperature
- 3 Eggs At room temperature
- 25 grams Cocoa Powder
- 50 grams Milk Chocolate Melted
- 1 Tea Spoon Baking Powder Gluten Free
- 1 Table Spoon Milk
- 85 grams Unsalted Butter Softened, at room temperature
- 170 grams Icing Sugar
- 2 Tea Spoons Milk
- 2 Table Spoons Cocoa Powder
- Preheat the oven to Fan 170* / 190*C / 375*F / Gas Mark 5
- Grease and line a 19 cm / 7.5 inch square baking tray
- Place all the chocolate cake ingredients into a bowl, and whisk until fully combined
- Transfer the mixture to your pre-lined baking tray and place in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes. It's cooked when the top springs back when gently pressed, or a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean. If the cake's still not cooked put back in the oven, checking every 2-3 ingredients.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to sit in the tin for 5 minutes, before turning it out on a wire wrack, and leaving it to cool
- Whilst waiting for the cake to cool, you can start making your icing
- Add the unsalted butter to the mixer, and beat until soft
- Add half of the icing sugar, along with the milk and cocoa powder, and blend together
- Add the other half of the icing sugar, and blend until fully combined
- Once the cake is cooled, trim the edges and the top in order to even it out
- Using a butter knife, spread the buttercream over the top of the cake until fully covered. Add a few sprinkles, and you're ready to celebrate!