It didn’t take me long to decide how I wanted to decorate my nails. After my negative space nails, I fell in love with the ‘dotted’ look. From there, the idea for my net manicure was clear. Forget all the negative space, I’m gonna fill it all up with polka dots… EVERYWHERE!!
It’s a look that’s so easy and simple, that I don’t know how I didn’t think of it before. I remember when I was younger, polka dots were the first piece of ‘nail art’ that I ever tried. I think I did an awful brown / beige combo, and the dots were so messy that it was just a load of big splodges. It’s safe to say, it wasn’t a good look! But, I was so proud of myself, it was seriously a massive achievement for little old me. Now that I’m older, and am actually capable of painting nails, I decided to go for it, and remake it… Successfully!
Dot, Dot, Dot…
It really is so simple and easy to do. This time I used a ‘Dotting Tool’ to make my spots. You get them in the most basic nail kits, and don’t have to pay an absurd amount of money to get one. Bonus! You simply dab it in the nail varnish and then on your nail. Yep, it really is that simple.
Not sure what a dotting tool is? It’s the long tool with what looks like a mini ball on the end. I’ll admit I went years without knowing what it was, and it was just left in the bottom of my nail kit. Untouched and unused, I simply had no clue what it was used for. But, since I’ve started experimenting a bit more, I’ve learnt to love this. It’s so simple and easy to use, and can help create a hundred different looks.
The hardest thing about this was picking a colour combination, I know that I wasn’t going t relive my past mistakes. I think that white is the initial though it’s light, spacious and shows up most colours. With this I was aiming more for light, pastel colours. Something to make it seem a bit playful and add a touch of fun. I wanted an easy, effortless look, which was perfect for the sunnier weather coming our way. It was really hard to think of what colours went together, so firstly, I decided on the base.
After ransacking my nail polish collection, I chose a light blue. It’s a colour that I absolutely love, and have been meaning to try for a long time but just haven’t really got around to it. I’m more of a hot / Barbie pink kinda gal.
Pink Is Always The Answer!
So, one part was done. I just needed to pick how to do the dots. It needed to be something bright enough to stand out, but soft enough to help me achieve that fun, and yet not too bold look that I was aiming for. I went from green, to white, even to black. But, I wasn’t happy with any of them. After a bit of trial and some (serious) errors, I found the perfect shade. A pink of course… Pink is always the answer!
What’s your favourite colour combo? Why not show it off with this super simple, soft and beautiful look? Perfect for anytime, place or season.
Embrace the spots,
Completely Dotty Nail Art
Fun, Playful and bold… It’s time to embrace the spots!
What You Need:
- Base Coat
- Base Colour Nail Varnish – I used Rimmel 60 Seconds 842 ‘Too Cool To Tango’
- Dot Nail Varnish – I used Seventeen Nail Colour ‘Parma Violet’
- Clear Top Coat
- A ‘Dotting’ Nail Tool
Getting The Look:
- Apply base coat to all nails and allow to dry.
- Use your chosen base nail varnish (I used a Light Blue) and apply a thin layer to each nail.
- Allow to dry before applying a second coat to each nail.
- Once the your nails are dry, dip the tip of your dotter tool into the bottle of your chosen ‘dot’ shade (I used a bright pink to contrast with the lighter blue shade underneath).
- Gently press the dotting tool onto your nail, hold for a seconds and lift off to create the dot.
- Repeat this as many times as desired, all over the nail to create the ‘spotted’ look.
- Reapply nail varnish to the dotter as needed and repeat on all your fingers until complete.
- Allow to dry, apply a layer of clear top coat and clean up any varnish around the sides of your nails.
- Viola! It really is that simple. The best accessory you can have, is a fresh, new, fun manicure!
Want to stay up to date and receive exclusive content and recipes? Follow me and never miss a moment!
Have something to say? Just sprinkle your thoughts and let me know what’s on your mind…